Monday, March 14, 2016

EVACUATE


Run from water, hide from wind.


Copyright; Daniel Kilburn
The emergency/disaster is barreling down on you and you still have some time before it hits, Hurricanes, Severe Storms.
The disaster struck without warning, Earthquake, Tornado, Technological, and Terrorist Attack.
You waited too long and now the aftermath is too severe to remain in place, Flooding, Damaged Infrastructure.
What choice do you have? Get out now.
If you have been building your Emergency Action Plan as you should be you have already identified one or more shelter locations outside of the affected area. Now you need to get your family and loved ones there.
 
Stay tuned into the local news on your radio or television if you still have power. If not that battery powered radio in your Disaster Kit will be useful. Local authorities will not ask you to evacuate unless there is a valid reason. When the evacuation decree is announced, go. Do not overthink it.
 
As a side note. I was conducting the EAP Workshop for a group of individuals a couple years ago. One couple brought up an incident during the 2004 Hurricane season. Their neighborhood was instructed to evacuate. By their own admission they scoffed at the neighbors who evacuated when instructed to do so. They overthought it and remained in place until it was too late. By the time they decided to leave they could not. Even though their neighborhood was on relatively high ground, all egress routs were flooded and they were forced to remain in place with no electricity or access to resources. Do not overthink it.
Course of Action (CoA)
Know the route of travel and follow directions. In this world of GPS everywhere it is still important to have a map available. Physical maps will assist you with routes that you may be unfamiliar with. Follow routes identified by emergency officials. Do not stray off of the recommend route even if you are familiar with the area. Those areas may be inaccessible or dangerous for reasons unknown. Local authorities are in contact with state and federal emergency management personnel. They will know the conditions of the evacuation routes, and you will be more likely to get to where you are going.
Keep a Full Tank of Fuel
On the morning of October 18th 1989 I drove to work In Monterey, CA from my apartment in Castroville. It’s about a 15 mile drive one way. At the time I worked as a cook at a private school overlooking the Monterey Salinas Highway. Today was going to be an all-day shift Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. I passed the gas station that I would normally stop at, I decided not to, I would fill up on my way home even though I was sitting close to empty.
At just after five pm I was carrying a full sheet pan of Halibut, the first of many balanced on my right hand and shoulder to the oven. Suddenly an odd rumble and someone picked up the building about 12 feet in the air and dropped it to the ground. Fish was flying everywhere and I was bouncing around on the floor like a ping-pong ball. In case you’re wondering, this was the Loma Prieta Earthquake.
The majority of the kitchen staff were scrambling to exit the building, but where I was (at the ovens) was almost at the farthest end of the building away from the primary exit. After ensuring there was no one left in the kitchen, I moved to the closest door I could find. And behold I was on a balcony 40, 50, 60+ feet above ground overlooking the Highway (Nope I never looked out that door before). Even though I was on the ground floor, this part of the building was on stilts. And the sound of a freight train was rushing toward me. I moved back inside and decided to shelter in the walk-in refrigerator. Worst case scenario I could eat my way out.
I have no idea how much time passed, probably was not that long. The aftershocks did not seemed to be subsiding and hanging out inside the refrigerator was getting less appealing, so I made my way outside to the courtyard. The ground of the pristine lawn was liquefied and rippling. Reminded me of a garden hose being snapped up and down, but on a larger scale. I was forced to go to my hands and knees or topple over.
After the dust settled, there were no injuries or apparent structural damage to the kitchen/dining area. The power was out and the maintenance staff was shutting down the gas lines as a precaution. We somehow managed to feed the 300+ students and staff by candle light with the food that was already prepared. We cleaned up the mess as best we could in the dark, and I started my drive home.
The drive was rather surreal, the only lights to be seen were the tail lights in front and the headlights passing me. I got to my gas station, pretty much on fumes. There were lights inside (lanterns) and cars at the pumps. But there was no gas to be had. The station tanks were full, but without electricity the pumps would not operate.
Fortunately one of the kitchen staff lived in my building, she was nice enough to drive me back and forth to and from work. Three days later electricity was restored and I was able to fill up the car. Since then I will not let my tank go below half full without filling up.
Moral of the story, don’t let your tank go below half full without filling up.
 
Protective Clothing
Wear clothing that will protect you, long sleeves and long pants. Sturdy shoes suitable for walking in. You might end up walking. Headgear, sunglasses, gloves and sun-screen.
Bug-out Kit
Minimum of 72 hours of food, water, clothing per person. Special needs resources. Cell Phone with a spare battery. Portable radio.
Other Considerations
One car, keeps the family together and lessens the need for more gas. It’s also one less car on the road.
Pets, don’t leave home without them. They should be included in your evacuation plan.
Predetermined Meeting Place. If your family is separated when it is time to evacuate, who is doing what, and where will you meet at. Are your Bug-Out Kits already in the car, or they hanging on some hook in your garage?
Children in school? Have a plan for who will pick them up.
Communications plan. Your predetermined out-of-town contact needs to be alerted of your itinerary to include routes and times. All family members should have contact information for this individual or individuals. To include, land line number, cell number, business number and email address at a minimum. Be aware that the local cell towers may be down or overloaded due to the volume of calls. Text messaging and email may be the best form of communication. A satellite phone might be a good deal also.
Keep in mind that my thoughts here are based on personal research and practical experience. I recommend that you research the usual suspects; FEMA, ARC Local OEM. For additional material on the subject of Evacuation.
Till Next Time
“Be Safe”
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 


No comments: